If you purchase a vehicle or trailer you must register it in your name. You need the following documents to do this.
- Proof of Ownership such as lease agreement or bill of sale.
- A person under 18 years old must have parental consent to register a vehicle in their name. The parent must accompany the minor with identification. We have parental consent forms in our office for you.
- If the owner is not registering the vehicle a letter of authorization is required for the person acting on their behalf. The person acting on their behalf must provide acceptable identification
- If a vehicle is being registered jointly all parties should be named on the Bill of Sale and all parties should be present. If this is not possible the absent parties must sign an letter of authorization that gives their consent to be included on the registration.
- Proof of valid Alberta Insurance (pink card). Not required for trailers.
- Acceptable Identification (Driver’s Licence). Other forms of acceptable Identification can be found here
Exceptions to this are New Vehicles. If you are registering a NEW vehicle that has not been registered before you will be asked for the following in addition to the above.
New original Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS). The auto dealership will provide you with the NVIS when you buy the vehicle. In this case a fax is not acceptable. You must bring in the original document and it will be retained by us.